Trading the Market: Methods in Madness

Monday, August 3, 2009

Trading Discipline - Self Review - Walking the Talk ...

Ok, in my last posting I talked about the importance of record keeping and the importance of looking yourself in the mirror.

How am I doing it myself?

I must say, that even though I have been trading for about a year now, it is only in the last three months that I am keeping these records.

So without further fuss, here is a sample of the records of ACTUAL TRADES in the last four trading days in July. Please click on the image at the left to get a better view. Please keep in mind that I predominantly trade in mininifty. Each trade represents buying or selling 0ne lot of mininifty.

The data is kept in a excel workbook. I think most of the fields are straightforward and self explanatory.

As you can see, in the last four days of trading, I had a positive expectancy.

For the whole month of July 2009, my numbers are as follows:

1. Percentage of winning trades: 41%.
2. Average Profit per winning trade: 24.04
3. Average Loss per losing trade: 13.73
4. Expectancy value for July: +1.78

which makes July a positive month.

I hope you are using a similar or better method to track. Please do share if you have a better and simpler method, I will appreciate it.


If you have any comments please write to me at stockmarket.methods.in.madness@gmail.com

Like this post? You can receive it free by subscribing. Just click on this link


Disclaimer: The above analysis is just that - my analysis. If you choose to trade on the basis of this analysis, you will be solely responsible for the outcome of the trade - profit or loss. Please keep in mind that trading and in particular day trading is not for the novice and there is significant risk of loss of capital in trading

3 comments:

  1. Hi Student, discipline is the key word clubbed with accountability. Doesn't the broker provide this sheet for FNO activity daily with a monthly summary as well and this data also includes the taxes and the net capital gained or lost during the day/month can be downloaded for records. If your broker does not provide this then you need to change your broker.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,

    I like the simplicity in your record keeping. One question: How do you calculate returns? Do you take into account trading costs and short term tax implications?

    Best Wishes,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you.

    I take care of the commission, associated service tax, and STT in my calculation. But not the income tax payable on the profit and loss as that is subject to each individual's own income etc.

    If you would like I can send the excel spreadsheet. Not a problem for me.

    ReplyDelete