Trading the Market: Methods in Madness

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Nifty Trading - Sticking to a Plan and Missing a Rally

Today, 15 July, I had planned to trade long as I thought yesterday's breakout rally would continue. The only problem was that the price had gone ahead so much that I could not afford the stop loss. I mean I believed that theoretically at least it could retest the highs of yesterday. So I wanted to wait for a dip. I use slow stochastic to detect dips or pullbacks, so I decided to wait for that to happen.

In the meanwhile, around 10.30 am I noticed that slow stochastic was beginning to decline. So, I thought let me use this opportunity to go short before going long at the end of the dip.

The problem was the dip was a puny one. It came and went. I shorted future at 4130 and my first target was 4115. The Nifty Future reached only 4118 and then never looked back.

Fortunately, I realized quickly that the edge in my shorting was gone. And I exited around 4132.

Rest of the day, I waited in vain looking for a dip that never came. I was both worried and hopeful that there could be a quick sell off that will allow me to enter but that never came.

Looking back, I realized I could have gone long at 4155 with SL at 4118 - but the SL was still on the large side and I believed a dip would happen. It didn't.

One way I am sad that I missed a great rally.

Another way I am really really glad that I did not second guess my plan nor did I go short after the first time, as I would have done many times in the past. Even around 4200, there was a sense that profit booking was imminent but I avoided the deadly temptation which has resulted on large losses in similar previous trading situations ( you can read about the deadly temptation here and here).

Also, I use a system that is ok in detecting a new trend beginning but not so great at reentry which is what happened today. I am hopeful however that if I tread with the same discipline, on other days I would be able to spot good reentry points.

To summarise: trade with discipline and simple rules - not to worry if that makes you miss one rally, there will be other days.

If you have any comments please write to me at stockmarket.methods.in.madness@gmail.com

Like this post? You can receive it free by subscribing. Just click on this link


Disclaimer: The above analysis is just that - my analysis. If you choose to trade on the basis of this analysis, you will be solely responsible for the outcome of the trade - profit or loss. Please keep in mind that trading and in particular day trading is not for the novice and there is significant risk of loss of capital in trading.

No comments:

Post a Comment